Mission Statement & Library Policy
The mission of Marvin E. McKee Library is to select, acquire, organize, and preserve relevant materials to support the educational curriculum of Oklahoma Panhandle State University. The library facilitates the dissemination of information through the continuous development of the library collection, through the collection's organization and arrangement for access and use, and through the provision of appropriate information services for the students, faculty, and staff of the University and for the surrounding community.
It is the responsibility of the SA to follow library policy at all times. Failure to do so may result in termination of employment. To view the complete policy go to: http://www.opsu.edu/Facilities/McKee_Library/?page=policy.
Phones at Work
The library phone is used for business calls only. SA and library patrons may not make personal calls without staff permission. If the SA must use the phone, make the call quickly and quietly. Check the phone daily for messages, write any messages down, and record statistics for each call. Instructions are posted by the phone.
Do not use your personal cell phone at the desk. There will be no gaming, Facebook, chatting or calling friends while on shift.
Dress appropriately for a place of business. No undergarments should be seen either when standing or when sitting down. Wear shoes at all times.
The director has decreed that all shorts and dresses worn must come to the knee. You will be sent home to change if needed.
Duties and Expectations
- A library employee must be at the desk while the library is open. Find another student or staff member to cover the desk if you have to leave.
- Only SAs currently on duty are allowed behind the desk.
- Be polite and friendly.
- Every question is valid and deserves proper consideration. If you do not know the answer, say so and find a staff member.
- The SA on duty is responsible for checking material in and out.
- You will be asked to help search the online databases. Become familiar with them.
Statistics need to be taken throughout the day.
Statistics are kept for:
- Newspapers, magazines, and books that need to be reshelved.
- Questions answered at the desk.
- Telephone calls.
- Group/class visits with number in party noted.
- High school & community relations visitors.
- Research questions.
- Printing problems.
Your student assistant mailbox is located in Technical Services and is where you should keep student timesheets and check for notes from your supervisors. They are used especially at the beginning and end of each semester for communications regarding scheduling and schedule changes.
According to state law, we cannot reveal information about a patron. Anyone requesting this information needs to be referred to the Library Director.
Food, Drinks & Tobacco
No food, drinks, or tobacco products are allowed in the building.
Food & Drinks:
- Patrons CANNOT eat a meal in the library. You CANNOT eat a meal at the front desk.
- Patrons can leave their items on the table by closing sign or, in the case of closed container drinks, at the circulation desk.
- SAs at the circulation desk need to keep their food at the break table. Drinks can be kept on the bookshelf behind circulation in closed containers.
- Food containers need to be disposed of in the trash can by the break room. This is the only trash can that gets emptied daily.
The most common tobacco product on campus is dip. Anyone caught with dip in the building needs to be asked to leave. It is against FEDERAL law to have tobacco products on campus. If they refuse, come get a staff member. We do not have the staff to clean up dip spills.